Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Free Things Ain't so Free

Aiiiiight.

So, if you decided to read my little "About Me" section, you'll know that I'm starting this blog to document my life leading up to (and hopefully during) my proposed visit to Colombia to volunteer. Yeah. You're probs not in the mood for a sob story, and I'm not in the mood to tell one. But pretty much, college is nomming up the contents of my wallet all too quickly (even with a scholarship... sigh...). What else is new? I get it that college is a necessary investment, and that it will all (hopefully) pay off in the end. But does this really mean that I should be forced to live like a church mouse, tethered to freaking middle-of-nowhere Massachusetts until I'm done paying off my mountain of debt to my local Fidelity Bank? I'd like to think otherwise.

Which is why it frustrates me to no end that my parents cringe at the mere mention of me applying for a passport. It's a valid form of identification. And yes, I would conceivably be able to leave the country at some point---but they have not been terribly supportive of the idea. Evidently filling out an application equates to a promise of an all expenses paid trip to Tahitian beach resort. This is not the case.

I've never been one to be interested in "trendy" travel destinations like tropical islands. I find it truly despicable that tourists feel the need to reside in luxurious five-star hotels while the local inhabitants struggle to make ends meet. Disagree with me if you wish. I am well aware that a number of countries dedicate the bulk of their GDP. Sri Lanka (on which I completed a series of six essays for a class) attributes over half of its GDP to goods and services which benefit international consumers (ref: http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/5249.htm). This includes, in large part, tourism. I get that. But what is the freaking point of traveling to a country if you're not going to mix with the local population?

AKA stay at a place these...



http://www.paradise-beach-hotel-negombo-sri-lanka.lakpura.lk/














...when much of the local population is living like this:








http://bandaragama.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/slum_street_after_rain_-_colombo.jpg






http://www.sangam.org/2008/09/images/852Sri_Lanka_Tamil_Fears.sff.embedded.prod_affiliate.56.jpg


Yeah. That's all in the same city (Colombo--the capital).

I invite you to disagree with me here, but if I'm going to pay good money to fly all the way across the world, I want to get acquainted with the local culture--and not live in Malibu Barbie's dream house, equipped with a pink pool (I did not make this up. Click the Drake and Cavendish link and read the description if you don't believe me). If I wanted to do that, I'd go to freaking Beverly Hills or whatever jajaja.

No. If I am to travel, I don't want to be treated like the queen of England. In fact, at this stage in my life, leisure travel has not really crossed my mind. I would prefer to work as a volunteer, or to study abroad later in my college career.


I think I've blown off enough steam for now JAJAJA! Sorry---this post was much more hostile than I initially intended.

Love,
- Ellyn :]

1 comment:

  1. Nepal and Bangaldesh, too, I believe, are more or less reliant on the tourism industry. It really is a vicious cycle of wondering whether or not to support such an industry.

    And I wholeheartedly approve of your wishes to venture into Colombia. I could go on a rant of how much I hate the FARC and their control of the government, so I appreciate why you want to go there. I had no idea you were so passionate about this. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete